Friday, October 23, 2009

Houston...we have a problem

Hello to everyone that peeks in on this blog. Thank you for all your prayers, they are starting to manifest in small and great miracles. I have returned home from Houston to try and continue my treatments from Provo. I had a great time meeting the staff and working with the team down there. My ex-stripper nurse was especially entertaining and I want to give a shout-out to her for all her help. My job is to figure out how to try and continue the same treatment here in Utah. I sat down with a doctor to ask him if he would be willing to write prescriptions and administer the IV portion of my treatment. (It is illegal for my doctor in Houston to write prescriptions to be filled out-of-state). I was rejected on the grounds that it was unethical to deliver a drug designed to fight colon cancer to a patient who has sarcoma cancer. The only way he would do it was if he could find some data to show that it could be effective. I called my doctor in Houston to relay the problem. He said he would begin searching for said data but I was skeptical since no one has the type of cancer I have. I ran into two more dead-ends in the following three days. Then I got a call from doctor number one, who said his assistant did find some evidence to suggest that the drug could yield effective with my cancer. He even set up an appointment for the next day to have it infused into me. Then he said that his other assistant found a way to get the drug directly from the manufacturer entirely for free. So that's one expensive drug down and three to go. The second most expensive drug is made by the same company. That company called me today to verify some things so I know they are working on it.

A special thanks to Drew's Divas who are working hard to be tri-athletes. Thanks to all of you who have contributed to help this treatment move along. Thanks very much to my boss and my buddies at work who have allowed me to keep working and help pay for this as well.

No comments: